Friday, January 26, 2007

Langston and the Lady with an Ermine


We ended the week by reading about personal narratives in Element of Language. Students were given copies of a brief biography of Langston Hughes and his wonderful, narrative poem, “Theme for English B.”

Your task over the weekend is to write the draft of your personal narrative. I want you to focus on one or two events that influenced who you are today. In the biography of Hughes, the writer focused on several events that seemed to define the writer. I’m asking you to do the same thing with your narrative.

The narrative is to be at least two pages, double space, 12 font, Arial or Times.

We will edit on Monday and begin preparing for our first text, Gilgamesh.

Homework: Draft of personal narrative.

For your viewing pleasure, I’ve included “Lady with an Ermine.” I was pleased to find new information about one of da Vinci’s work. You will find that I always show and discuss painting and sculpture in my class. I do so because art is an important part of my life and because it is simply another expression of the art that we are reading. Feel free to introduce new artists you love to me and I will give you the opportunity to discuss their work in class.

No comments: