Monday, January 22, 2007

Welcome to Literature in the New Global Age.

The purpose of this course is to explore the great literature of our world. We will read major works from different eras and cultures - texts that provide a basis of much of the world’s literature. While we are reading the texts, we will also look at literary terms, ideas, and concepts and then apply them to the texts. Every week, we will work on SAT questions, grammar, and writing. We will read poetry, short stories, and novel(s). You will write a resume, an autobiography, sonnets, haiku, essays, and create and present PowerPoint presentations on myths and Dante’s Inferno.

We begin by reviewing class procedures. The basis of the procedures is to treat others as you would wish to be treated. ‘Others’ include your classmates and me. Please be on time and prepared to learn. Please act respectfully in class. Please open your mind to the wonderful words that will rush out of our readings and wash over you. If you allow them, the words will change you and help you in the pursuit of your future dreams.

We will begin to build an understanding of each other. You will learn about me by looking around the classroom. I will learn about you via your writing assignments this week and next.

Today, you will begin to build a resume (when you see a word highlighted, click on it), and this resume will be the outline for your autobiography. The activity includes interviewing each other and developing an organizer that will build your resume. Think about the way you think and use that in your writing.

Welcome and good luck…

Homework: Parent/guardian sign Procedure form (5); complete resume for publication (10); make up a short name for yourself and leave a one line comment with the name of your favorite book (3). Do not use your real name. The comment name must be less than 6 letters.

20 comments:

JotRit said...

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman

Brian Jacques.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book was The Child Called It.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book was The Child Called It

Anonymous said...

my favorite book is the Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown

Anonymous said...

My Favorite Book Splinter Cell

JotRit said...

My favorite book is "Circle Opens."

ladynel22 said...

My favorite book is, "One Day My Soul Just Opened Up", by Iyanla Vanzant.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book would have to be Forged By The Fire by Sharon Draper.

R33Ni said...

My favorite books are a series called FEARLESS by Francine Pascal. This is because I am able to relate to the main character and even though the book is quite fictitious, the mystery and suspense make me feel the anger that the main character feels and makes my heartbeat much faster. Mystery and suspense books are my favorite type of book to read because they hold my interest.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book would have to be:
"Thick Face, Black Heart" by Chin-Ning Chu

Anonymous said...

I don't really have a favorite book because there are so many that I like, but I did enjoy reading books that include, "Their Eyes Were Watching God", "Night", "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events",
'Drama Queen", and many more.

Anonymous said...

The name of my favorite book is Kaffir Boy and the reasoning for that particular book being my favorite is because of the plot and actuality of the story.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book at this time happens to be Longitude by Dava Sobel. This book serves as both a biography and an exploration. I enjoyed the book because its contents had such a deep impact on history.

Anonymous said...

I have no favorite book in particular, however I do like the Goosebumps series by R. L. Stine.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book would have to be have to be Go Ask Alice.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that my favorite book is Pride & Prejudice.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book would have to be Go Ask Alice.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book is Keisha and Coming of Age in Mississippi.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book is Go Ask Alice.
~AMRE~

Anonymous said...

My favorite book is Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston.